The Sawnee Electric Membership Foundation announced today that it recently awarded twenty local high school seniors each with a $5,000 scholarship in support of its mission to support education in the areas served by Sawnee EMC. “The Youth Scholarship Program is a shining example of what the Foundation and Sawnee EMC are all about; which is their commitment to being a partner and supporter in the various communities Sawnee EMC serves.” States Blake House, Vice President of Sawnee EMC’s Member Services.
Sawnee EMC Foundation scholarship recipients for 2019 are:
- Ms. Katelyn Aquino – West Forsyth High School
- Mr. Jake Bischoff – Chattahoochee High School
- Ms. Sarah Cooksey – Dawson County High School
- Mr. Gabriel Fulbright – Forsyth Central High School
- Ms. Medha Guduru – South Forysth High School
- Mr. Thomas Hughes – Forsyth Central High School
- Ms. Natalie Kandul – Lambert High School
- Mr. Eric Kraitman – West Forsyth High School
- Ms. Geneve Lauby – Lambert High School
- Mr. Bennett Mathis – Forsyth Central High School
- Ms. Camryn McCran – Fideles Christian High School
- Mr. Brent Miller – Alpharetta High School
- Mr. Maanas Purushothapu – Chattahoochee High School
- Ms. Elifelet Sanchez-Espinosa – Chestatee High School
- Ms. Katie Sardonia – Creekview High School
- Ms. Melanie Smith – West Forsyth High School
- Ms. Haley Tidd – Haley’s Home School
- Mr. Jackson Trammell – Dawson County High School
- Ms. Aimee Unger – North Forsyth High School
- Ms. AnnaBelle Wallace – North Forsyth High School
The funding for the scholarship program is derived from approved uses under Georgia law for Sawnee EMC’s unclaimed patronage capital funds, which are separate and apart from the funds that Sawnee members voluntarily donate to the Foundation for distribution to local charitable organizations.
In the past fourteen (14) years, the Foundation has awarded $727,500 in scholarships to 187 exceptional high schools seniors within Sawnee EMC’s seven-county service area.
“Supporting those in need in our communities, and helping these outstanding students continue their education is a key part of meeting the Foundation’s core mission,” states Mr. Lacelle Doss, Chairman of the Foundation’s Board.
Questions about this program or the Sawnee Foundation can be found online at www.sawnee.com/round_up or directed to Mrs. Cindy Badgett, Director of External Affairs for Sawnee EMC at 678-455-1399 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Sawnee Electric Membership Foundation
The Sawnee Electric Membership Foundation is a 501 (c)(3) organization and exists to assist charitable organizations in the communities served by Sawnee EMC. Through the Foundation, participating members voluntarily donate one cent at a time by ‘rounding’ up their Sawnee EMC energy bill to the next highest dollar. Since its inception in April 2003, the Sawnee Foundation has donated over $2,694,972.18 to local charitable organizations, to local schools through its “Bright Ideas” educational projects as well as through its youth scholarship program.